My friend Meghan challenged me to do this one a while back. I resisted a bit, since I dimly remembered what Train sounded like about ten or so years ago, but she insisted this was totally different, so I gave it a shot. I pretty quickly came up with a melody that, in my head, sounded like a Wilco song. Once I started recording it, it got significantly noisier. I didn't really intend to have the electric guitar be anything more than the solo, but it sounded good on the chorus and pre-chorus, so I kept it. Drums came out pretty nicely this time, I think, though I feel like the hi-hat is a little overpowering. I'm getting a little concerned that all my pre-choruses are exactly the same, but I'm not sure how to fix that.
Thoughts After Listening to the Original:
Oh, man, that actual song is awful. As usual, I was working off some slightly bad lyrics, but I don't think it really mattered that much. My song might sound a little too much like previous things I've done, but it's still better than the original. I do find it somewhat amusing that the first song I get that actually features a ukulele is one of the handful I've recorded that doesn't.